Skip to main content Skip to footer

For Members

For Members

Programs and Services for Medicaid Members

Commonly Asked Questions and Answers for Members

You can find information on how to update your member information online on the Cover Virginia website. It is important to provide Virginia Medicaid with your most current phone number and mailing address so that you continue to receive information about your coverage.

a. I lost my Medicaid card. How can I get a replacement?

You can order a new Medicaid ID card and receive it within 10 days. To get a new card, you can:

b. Which card(s) should I have?

You should have one or two ID cards. All Medicaid members should have a blue-and-white Virginia Medicaid ID card. If you are in fee-for-service, this is your only card. If you are in a managed care health plan, you will have the blue-and-white card and another card from your health plan. Starting soon, some Medicaid members will receive new ID cards with the Cardinal Care logo. Your current cards are still valid until you get a new one.

c. I never received a card. Whom should I contact?

You can call Member Services at the phone number on the back of your ID card to ask about how to contact your provider.

To cancel your Medicaid or Family Access to Medical Insurance Security (FAMIS) coverage, submit a request in writing to your local Department of Social Services (DSS). Find your local DSS office.

The Department of Medical Assistance Services (DMAS) provides free aids and language services to people with disabilities and individuals whose primary language is not English. If you need these services, contact the civil rights coordinator at 804-786-7933 (TTY: 1-800-343-0634).

Your local social services department or Cover Virginia will process your application and will send you a letter called a Notice of Action. This letter will let you know if you are eligible for Medicaid health coverage. It may take up to 45 days to get a decision on your application. To check your status, you can log in to your account at by clicking the Check My Benefits button or call 1-855-242-8282 (TDD: 1-888-221-1590).

If you received a notice that your health coverage has changed and you have questions, please contact the Member Services phone number on your ID card.

  • You must renew your Virginia Medicaid health coverage each year. This is called an annual renewal. If your local department of social services (DSS) has all the information to complete your renewal, it will be reviewed automatically. You will get a letter in the mail telling you if you will keep your coverage for another year.
  • If your renewal cannot be completed automatically, you will get a paper renewal form in the mail. This means you must take action to renew your health coverage.
  • If you do not complete your renewal, you will lose your Medicaid health coverage.

a. I never received one.

You can contact Cover Virginia at 1-833-5CALLVA. Only full benefit Medicaid and FAMIS members will receive the 1095-B tax form.

b. I need a copy.

The Commonwealth of Virginia will mail the 1095-B forms by January 31 of each year. The Commonwealth will also send this information directly to the IRS. You should keep the 1095 form with your tax records.

c. I need to make a correction.

You can contact Cover Virginia at 1-833-5CALLVA to speak with someone about making a correction.

d. The information is incorrect and I need to file a complaint.

Cover Virginia can answer questions about your Virginia 1095-B form for Medicaid and FAMIS coverage.

Virginia Medicaid encourages everyone to report all suspected cases of Medicaid fraud and abuse. Our website provides more information. You can report suspected fraud cases in two ways:

Member Resources


Contact Information

Member Helpline

Tel: 1-804-786-6145

Managed Care Helpline

Tel: 1-800-643-2273

Cookie Notice

Find out more about how this website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience.